8.20.2012

Music changes my life

everyday...
I wouldn't say that i had a particularly musical life.
I grew up listening to my mom sing to the radio in the car (one of my favorite things in the whole world)
I grew up being blasted with my uncles' AC/DC or GNR or Pantera or the myriad of other crazy 80s bands
I played the saxophone in band while every other child in my family sang in the choir.  I always wanted to sing too, but couldn't do both.
My first concert (so I am told) was a Prince concert that my parents attended while Mom was pregnant.
The first concert I remember was Richard Marx.  I saw him with my dad.
My second, third and fourth concerts were the New Kids on the Block...OH YEAH!
I was the kid sitting with my tape recorder listening to the radio and trying to catch my favorite song so I could put it on a tape.
Scott Wolf gave me the Boys II Men tape for my 12th birthday.  It was over...I was in love.  oh so funny.
My CD collection probably started with one "Hangin' Tough" album, and it's now grown to over 700.
And Yes, I still buy the CDs.  Itunes just doesn't do it justice...
plus what will I put in my juke box when I retire? 

Music has played a part in so many significant and emotional life events.
I have a playlist to my life.
It is currently 788 songs long.
It grows
...I've shared it with two people.

Chances are if you are ever in my office or able to listen to my iPod, it's that list playing.
I sometimes catch myself in a lyrical daydream as I drift back to whatever memory a particular song happens to conjure. 

Some of my happiest times were spent surrounded by music.  I've rocked out the Incubus with my best friend.  Everytime I see Dave Matthews it brings me back to high school and driving around aimlessly with my two oldest friends.  I've seen Avril Lavigne in Seoul with perhaps the singlemost significant person I've ever known.  I saw Less than Jake, New Found Glory and Good Charlotte with my first love.  I saw Hinder, Faktion and Hurt with nobody inparticular. 

I've explored and experienced and lived and laughed and learned and danced and LOVED all the while with music in my heart.

It changes my life. 
Everyday


I am changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment